Friday, June 5, 2009

June Challenge Tips: Part 1

Five days down & only 25 to go! How's it going? I promise that it does get easier! So what are you doing to avoid the sweets? I found that I had to have a set plan in place. I needed to know exactly what I was going to do every time I felt that craving for sugar or was offered a sweet something. Here are a few things that I did that helped:

#1: Drink a glass of water: When those cravings hit, make yourself drink a cold glass of water instead. And yes, sometimes you really have to 'make yourself' do it! The water helps fill up the stomach and gives your hands and mouth something to do instead of eating sweets.

#2: Have fresh fruit precut and ready to eat in your fridge: This is the best time of year for fresh fruit! You can get a lot for only a small amount of money. Just think of it as a budget helper! I found that it wasn't enough to have the cantaloupe sitting on the counter. If I was craving something sweet, I didn't want to have to wait while I cut up the fruit. So I would cut everything up and have it in containers in the fridge. Then I could just grab it and eat.

#3: Empty the sweet stuff out of your house. If that's not possible, put it all in one cupboard then tape your chart on that door. Seeing that chart as I reached to get some candy saved me several times!

#4: Chew gum: Sugarfree gum! Keeps your mouth busy. I went through several packs during that first month.

#5: Remember that this is about gaining self control. If your body is craving something so badly, doesn't it kind of indicate an addiction? Addiction of any kind is spiritual bondage. Break free! Win back your agency & gain power over your natural man! Apply the Atonement--yes, the Atonement even works for sugar. Trust me, that's the only way I made it through 100 days.


Anyone else have any tips or things that are working for them? Love to hear them!

5 comments:

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Thanks for the tips Jill! I know gum helps, A LOT! I have gone through several packs lately! @5 days isn't that long, right?

Jayleen said...

Great tips Jill! I've found that these first 5 day haven't been too bad yet, the hardest part is nighttime when I'm winding down. Yesterday my mother-in-law was here and she brought the kids some M&M's, without even thinking about it I popped 2 in my mouth...UGH, sometimes it's hard to remember that I'm going without sugar, but I think it will get easier as the time goes on.

Rachel said...

I was too chicken to participate in the challenge (which obviously means I should be doing it) but I'm loving your tips....especially the gum one. I definitely find that I eat much, much less if I'm chomping on gum since the mouth is already working on something.

Anonymous said...

Uh, I fell off the bandwagon because something incredible happened and I need sugar to survive... :)

jilliebean said...

Steph--Is this something incredible going to last about 9 months? :)?