Monday, May 4, 2009

Close {internet} Friends

This is an article about a talk Elder Bednar gave yesterday. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705301231,00.html?pg=1 Wow! I had never thought about it that way before (how Satan uses technology/internet to minimize the importance of our physical bodies). I've actually been thinking a lot about that lately...in a round about way. I've realized that I have a lot of old friends that I feel really close to and in touch with--because I read their blogs or see their updates on Facebook. In reality, I never call them, I never see them, and some of them probably have no idea how 'close' of friends we are :). Life is busy, so I've become a 'lazy' friend, I am ashamed to admit. I rely on the internet to keep me updated (in fact, I get frustrated with friends that don't have blogs so that I can know how they are doing;) instead of picking up the phone, setting up lunch dates, or even emailing friends. I don't think there is anything wrong with technology per se, and I obviously think blogs are great, even though I'm not very good at keeping mine updated. I think the important part is having balance.

1 comment:

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I read that article yesterday in the paper and thought the same thing! I used to write notes and send cards all the time! I'm lazy now! I thought even giving part of it for a lesson in FHE. My boys are quite the video and computer game junkies. It was nice to have proof a church leader discourages it!