Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The April Fool

Today is my birthday. And that's no joke. When people discover that I was born on April Fool's Day they always smile and think it is so funny. Then I usually hear one of three things. The first thing I hear is, "So you're a fool, huh?" To which I respond, "I have been my whole life." The second thing people want to know is if I get gag gifts or funny presents for my birthday. Then I always tell them the story about how in fifth grade, my teacher had me stand at the front of the class and my whole class watched as I opened a gift they had wrapped for me. Inside I found rocks, grass, and weeds. And that was it. Happy birthday. The third thing that people assume is that because I was born on April Fool's Day I must be really good at April Fool's Tricks. Just as Marlin the clownfish explained in the movie Nemo, this is a common misconception: Clownfish really aren't all that funny, and neither am I. Being born on this day did not automatically endow me with the ability to play jokes on others. In fact I have found it to have quite the opposite effect, since that sort of thing is very distracting from the real purpose of the day: celebrating my birthday. So if you are looking for some good joke ideas, don't come to me. And if you think it would be soooo funny to give me a gag gift for my birthday, puh-lease! That is soooo elementary school.*

Happy Birthday to me!

Photography by Little Man: taken two weeks ago when it was in the 60's and there was no snow. What happened to those days?


*(Gag gifts are accepted only with the understanding that an amazingly awesome real gift will be delivered shortly after the opening of the gag gift.) ;)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is too funny! Yours is one of 2 birthdays I remember from high school...go figure :) My nephew was born this morning at 4 am, so we'll get to experience what you are talking about a little more first hand. Any advice for the little guy? Happy Birthday!!!

Kami said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!!! Love you and hope you have a WONDERFUL birthday!!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Happy Birthday Jill! Hope you had a great day! Thanks so much for bringing Kate home for me! I should have done something for instead the other way around.

Brittany Marie said...

Happy Birthday (yesterday)!

I think the myth of a jokster being born on April Fools' Day has been further propogated by Ms. Rowling who just had to have Fred & George Weasley be born on April 1st.

I share my birthday with Princess Diana. And Boxing Day.

I think I'd rather share it with Fred & George.

Clark Family said...

Happy Birthday Jillie Bean!!!! Sorry I did not call we had a series of accidents and events that led to a day unplanned. Well I hope it was a good one for you. And by the way I love your hair...I meant to tell you that a while ago. Miss ya and Love ya!!