Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The New Me

This is me--the tired, rundown, grumpy me. Long hair is only attractive if you take care of it. I certainly wasn't doing that. It was usually a ponytail in the morning and I was good for the day. Taking care of two quite demanding children, starting a business, serving in two and a half callings, teaching preschool, attending meetings and training meetings, and trying to keep my house presentable while also putting food on the table for my family at a reasonable time every day, just didn't leave me a lot of time left over for primping. And I admit, it wasn't a big priority because really there is only so much you can do with long hair, and I don't know how to do most of them. I've noticed that there are actually some people that can make ponytails, dare I say, "sexy". I am not one of those people.

So why didn't I get my hair cut months ago? Because of a little goal I had made back in July. I decided I'd grow my hair out to donate it to Locks of Love. I'd run into so many people who had donated to the cause, and thought it sounded like a great idea. I honestly didn't realize how emotionally challenging it would be to complete my goal! Now that may sound a little stupid. Why would growing your hair out have anything to do with emotions?, you ask. Remember, I am a girl, and EVERYTHING has to do with emotions, okay? Here's the deal: My long hair made me feel ugly, out of style, and frumpy. This was a major problem since it directly went against one of my major promises to myself when I got married. I promised myself that I would never let myself 'go'. I didn't want to the kind of woman who wore huge t-shirts and sweats all the time or who didn't wear make up or do their hair. For me, preserving my appearance after marrying and becoming a mother was all about preserving my self respect. So that's where the emotional trauma comes in with the long hair. I didn't like how I looked and felt ugly and unattractive.

So today was a VERY liberating day! The Day of the Haircut! Don't I look amazing!?! And I feel amazing! In fact, I am the most amazing person in the world (at least for today, lol)! (Notice that I am wearing a t-shirt and sweatshirt, lol. But interestingly enough, I discovered that an awesome haircut can make even a sweatshirt look cute. Who knew?!)Tomorrow I am packaging up my 10" ponytail and shipping it off. Even with the emotional ups and downs, I do have to say it was an interesting experience. This may sound a bit weird, but toward the end there, I started taking better care of my hair because I started thinking of it as someone else's hair and I wanted their hair to be nice after the experiences that they'd had to go through in order to need my hair. I can't say that I will ever do it again, but I am glad that I did it at least once. And it will be kind of fun to wonder what part of the world my hair is visiting without me!

14 comments:

Gunnell Fam said...

despite what you say, I think you look pretty with long hair, too. However, I do like your new look! Did she cut your bangs, too? Looks good!

Bobette said...

LOVE the new hair cut! So cute! And I always thought you looked cute whenever I saw you! Even with a ponytail! Very cute! :)

Julie said...

Super cute! I love the new haircut! Short hair is a lot easier.

Kami said...

I LOVE the new hair sister!!!! I think it looks so good! And I agree with Karen and Bobette, you looked great with long hair too. This will be a lot easier for you though! I love it! You look great!

JBod said...

Looks good, jilliebean.

It never crossed my mind that you were ugly or frumpy or out of style with your hair long. But then again I'm a guy, so what do I know.

Shauna said...

Jill I love it!! Way cute! I have been tempted to do something short too. As much as I wanted to have long hair for awhile, mine seems to take forever to grow. You have inspired me!

Jayleen said...

I LOVE your new do, and I can tell that you are happy with it. You were very "chipper" at scouts yesterday :)!! You've inspired me to maybe "think" about growing my hair out and donating it.

Brittany said...

I love the new hairdo! It looks great. Not that your hair didn't look great before :)

Jen J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen J. said...

Hey Jill! It looks like everyone likes your haircut! What a success! I'm glad you're happy with it. Love ya!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I love it! It is hard to grow hair. I've toyed with the idea of Locks of Love, but I'm not so brave. Grace is growing hers though, can't I just count that being he mom and all.

I always feel so great after a big change!

tbod said...

Hey, Jill

I want to cut my hair, too. And I like you both ways. It doesn't matter what we think, anyway. What's important is what YOU think.

Love, Dad

Marsha said...

It is harder than people think to let your hair grow. I love the new look.

Steph Glazier-Collao said...

You look wonderful! You have the most gorgeous face and your new 'do' frames your natural beauty :)