Friday, June 13, 2008

Riches

Who is rich? He who is happy with his lot. – The Talmud

Large purchases (like our newly acquired van) tend to get me thinking about finances. I have to admit that I'm pretty sure that I would enjoy being rich. Just the thought of having "disposable income" thrills me. But as the daughter of a school teacher, a teacher myself, and now the wife of a seminary teacher, monetary wealth doesn't seem to be in the cards. In fact, the division between NEEDS and WANTS is as clear as High Definition Television. Survival in this economically turbulent world demands clarity in that area. I am content with my lot in life, yet there are still times when I read scriptures like Jacob 2:19 in the Book of Mormon, and think about 'riches' and how nice it would be to have that scriptural promise fulfilled in my life. I mentioned this to my husband not long ago, and he wisely pointed out that the 'riches' discussed in that scripture don't necessarily refer to monetary wealth. Isn't it ironic, he said, that in reference to that scripture we spend so much time talking about the only kind of 'riches' that we can't take with us? Wow! Lightbulb! In that one sentence, my eyes were opened to the vast possibilities of riches that we receive from our Heavenly Father in fulfillment of the scripture in Jacob. How silly of me to limit Heavenly Father to only blessing me with the 'riches of man'! Since that conversation with DH, I am constantly amazed at how rich I truly am! Why, I think I must be one of the wealthiest people in the world! Here are just a few of the riches I have noticed in my life:
1. Time: My husband is home almost everyday by 3:30pm. We get to spend lots of time together and he gets to spend lots of time with our kids. He takes a very active role in the raising of our children. I see this as a huge blessing and more valuable than money.
2. My husband: He cooks, he cleans, he changes diapers, he cleans up throw-up, he does the shopping, he leads in FHE/Scriptures/Prayer, he does the laundry, he takes care of the yard, he works hard so I can be a stay at home mom, and he supports me in my goals/desires/business pursuits. How did I get so lucky?
3. Health: Never had a major illness in my life, not even a broken bone (unless my little toe counts). Pregnancy was tough--but I survived--twice.
4. Talents: Heavenly Father has provided me with many opportunities through callings or other associations to help me develop talents that I didn't even know I had. These talents have come in really handy as a wife and mother.
5. Inspiration: I think this is a 'rich' that may be often overlooked. But how wealthy we should consider ourselves when we are worthy to communicate with our Heavenly Father! Inspiration is advice we receive from our Heavenly Father--an Omiscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent Being. It's probably pretty good advice--the kind we should consider taking.
6. Tender Mercies: It amazes me how often things that we are in need of, or even just things that we want, tend to show up at the perfect time. I can't even count the times that people have given us things---clothing for our children, drapes for our windows, bookcases, toys, baby stuff, even beds. We have saved so much money and been so blessed through the generosity of good people. I definitely consider myself wealthy to have such great family and friends, and to receive so many tender mercies in our lives.


What riches have you received from Heavenly Father that you can use with "the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted"?

1 comment:

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Thanks for your thoughts! We are all truly blessed. I need to be more grateful.