I celebrated an important anniversary on Tuesday. It has been 10 years since I entered the MTC and left on my mission to Valencia, Venezuela. It honestly feels like two or three lifetimes ago that I was sitting in the room at the MTC preparing to say good-bye to my family. I look at the pictures (you gotta love the 'Old-School' scrappin') and I wonder who that girl was. She was sick to her stomach with nerves. She had no idea that her mission would be everything and more that she feared, yet contain everything and more of the joys she could ever imagine. That 18 month season of her life in the hot tropical country of Venezuela would change her forever. She would come home a different person--a better person, a wiser person, a more humble person. How grateful I am that she decided to serve. How grateful I am for the experiences of that mission that have prepared me for all that has happened in the 10 years since its commencement. And to be quite honest--How grateful I am that it is her in those pictures, and that I am here on the other side of it, sitting comfortably at my computer in my Air Conditioned house!Friday, June 13, 2008
Who is that girl?
I celebrated an important anniversary on Tuesday. It has been 10 years since I entered the MTC and left on my mission to Valencia, Venezuela. It honestly feels like two or three lifetimes ago that I was sitting in the room at the MTC preparing to say good-bye to my family. I look at the pictures (you gotta love the 'Old-School' scrappin') and I wonder who that girl was. She was sick to her stomach with nerves. She had no idea that her mission would be everything and more that she feared, yet contain everything and more of the joys she could ever imagine. That 18 month season of her life in the hot tropical country of Venezuela would change her forever. She would come home a different person--a better person, a wiser person, a more humble person. How grateful I am that she decided to serve. How grateful I am for the experiences of that mission that have prepared me for all that has happened in the 10 years since its commencement. And to be quite honest--How grateful I am that it is her in those pictures, and that I am here on the other side of it, sitting comfortably at my computer in my Air Conditioned house!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love it!!! The girl in those pictures is exactly the girl I remember - and still think of today. Even though our time together in Venezuela was a trying one (sickness combined with Hna. "K"), it was so much fun as well. You've always been an inspiration to me!! Congrats on the anniversary.
That's so neat Jill! I'm totally jealous. I always planned on serving a mission, but I get to when I'm old!
I remember that girl. =) She was a good soul. She deserves air conditioning.
Post a Comment