Saturday, May 10, 2008

Seizure #6

As of this morning, (as far as we knew), LM had only experienced 5 seizures. One was a grand mal (the first one that lasted about 2-3 minutes) and the rest have been drop seizures that have lasted for 1-2 seconds. Because of this, we are having a hard time deciding if we should put him on medication or not. Five seizures in one year doesn't seem to warrant medication full time--and we don't want to medicate him just because we are afraid. Then today he had his sixth seizure. I guess we should have been expecting it after all we have learned this past week. But all of his previous seizures have occurred when he has been sick and had a fever. We just assumed that fevers were his trigger. Apparently not. We were at DH's brother's new house helping them move in. We had been there about six hours, and LM had been playing fine. He was actually playing Hide and Seek with his cousin E., and ran up to me in the kitchen, yelling at me, "Let's Hide!" He was bouncing around like he does when he is happy and having fun, then he kind of just stopped, looked out the window, seemed to relax, and then his whole body jerked and his knees buckled and he went down on the hardwood floor, hitting his head hard. He started crying immediately because of the bang to his head. My immediate thought was we can't do this to him--we can't let our indecisiveness put him through this again. We have to get him on medication so he doesn't fall and seriously injure himself. I feel totally and completely helpless. I know there are a lot worse things that people have to go through with their children--I've seen some of them while we've been up at Primaries--but honestly, this really STINKS.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Jill! I am so sorry for all that's going on. We will remember little Spencer in our prayers - as well as your family. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Anonymous said...

It is so difficult to watch our children go through somethings that we have no control over. We will keep on praying for you and your family!

JBod said...

Jill, I know that what you are going through is hard in a way that I can't understand. Brittany and I praying for Spencer and your family.

With all that has happened, I can't help but think of the first time that Mom, Dad, and I met Spencer in the hospital. I don't know if you recall, but when Dad held him for the first time, he got emotional and said that he felt that Spencer was a very special spirit. As he said this, I felt the peace of the Holy Ghost very strongly.

Since then I've often wondered why the Spirit chose to touch me so strongly at that moment. Whatever the reason, it was witnessed to me that Spencer is indeed a very special little boy. I think right now you are being blessed with the privilege to take care of some special needs he has, although it may not seem like a privilege at this time. Spencer is blessed to have two parents that love him very much and that want to take care of him.

I have every confidence that God knows and perfectly understands your situation and needs, and will take care of you all. We will keep praying for you!