Friday, May 9, 2008

Abnormal

I doubt that Abnormal is a word that any parent would like used in reference to their children. And it is especially hard to hear it used while talking about their brain waves. Unfortunately, that is our reality right now. After two "collapsing episodes" 2 weeks ago, our Pediatrician sent LM to get an EEG. During an EEG, over 20 probes are attached to a person's scalp, and their brain waves are recorded. Normal brain waves look like rounded hills. Abnormal brain activity is spiked. LM's EEG showed "abnormal" brain waves. So what does that mean? That means that LM probably has a seizure disorder. Since that diagnosis, we have met with a Pediatric Neurologist and LM has also had an EKG (heart test). We have an MRI scheduled for the last day of the month. It has been a crazy couple of weeks. And maybe it is the craziness of it that has stopped reality from setting in. Too busy to really even stop and think about how this is going to really impact his and our lives, I still look at LM and see perfection. I can't seem to get what the doctors are telling me into my head. I keep thinking that they must have missed something on the EEG-or that they've made a mistake somewhere--because there's nothing wrong with my little boy. I'm guessing this is a normal reaction for any parent-- The one thing that has become clearer and more real since his diagnosis is that fact that I love him sooooo much! This experience has helped me identify that my love for him isn't based on his behavior, his intelligence, or even his brain waves. Whether his brain is perfect or not, his soul is perfect, and that's what I love the most!

ABOVE: The EEG: even though he doesn't look very happy, he was amazing! He didn't squawk or cry even once! He didn't act shy and was very cooperative (if you know Spencer, you know what a miracle that was!);

BELOW: The EKG: once again Spencer surprised us by being happy while having all sorts of things hooked up to him. He is amazing!

Credits: Frames by Gunhild Storeide

www.storeide.se/gunhild/index.htm


2 comments:

Clark Family said...

Jillie, you and Brett are amazing parents and I know without a doubt that whatever the Lord places in your hands you will be able to handle. I love you and just remember our Savior's love for us always and it will help you to help Spencer and the fam get through this trial.
Kellie

Kamille said...

Jill - Wow. I'm impressed you're holding up so well. Please let me know where I can help. Babysitting, dinner, phone calls. These are all genuine offers.