Friday, September 4, 2009

Feeling a little crafty

Maybe it's the hormones or something, but I've been feeling very crafty lately. Usually, that just ends up getting me into all sorts of trouble. :)

My first project was these cute pottery-barn-looking balls.

I am quite proud of how they turned out, though I must warn you that if you are going to make these, be prepared to burn your fingers with the hot glue at least 47 times per ball (unless you are better at hot gluing things than I am, which wouldn't really take much.) In the tutorial, she painted the twine before gluing. I thought it would be faster to paint after, so that is my plan...someday.


My second great project was this:

Now, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided to try this. I'd seen lots of tutorials all over about appliquing on different things, and had been wanting to try it. Still, the fact that I don't sew and that I have never done anything this complicated should probably have been a major red flag. I'm not very good at paying attention to red flags. Apparently. We were having a baby shower for my friend, Brittany, and these little trucks match the crib set that she wants for her nursery. I found pictures of the set on her registry at Target. Then I used Photoshop to enlarge the images to the size that I wanted them. I then printed several copies of the image and used them as patterns to cut out the different pieces from fabric. After that it was just a matter of piecing it together and sewing it on the onsie. It was actually a perfect project for the week, since I was spending so much time just sitting on the couch anyway. I was happy with how they turned out, and Brittany even seemed to like them :). Of course, I prefer to think the uneven, crooked stitches add whimsy and character to the outfit. All you master seamstresses out there are not allowed to look at the following pictures :) Alas, I would never have made it as a Jane Austen heroine!

11 comments:

Terrie said...

Cute! I love those crafty phases.

Brittany said...

I love them! So cute! Thanks for sharing. I think I will add these ideas to my ever-growing wish list of crafts I want to do :)

Gunnell Fam said...

You've always been a creative person! I love the onesies.

Jen J. said...

I love those onesies! They are so cute!

Kami said...

i, too, love the onesies. they look great.

Vicki said...

Wow! So very very cute... and your stitches look just like they should for trucks and bulldozers. Love it :)

The Lymans said...

Very cute, Jill!

Jayleen said...

too cute!

Sharlyn said...

Hi,
Found your blog through Jayleen's. Those trucks are so cute! good job :)

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Uh no, I'm pretty sure you would put Jane Fairfax or Georgiana Darcy to shame with all of your accomplishments.

I am so excited for those onesies! They are definitely going in shadow boxes!

Jen said...

Wow! Those are so cute, I want to make some, too! I'm glad you told how you got the pictures, 'cause I would have asked. Thanks for the inspiration to make my own! You did a great job.