Thursday, January 8, 2009

Family Date Night









DH and I are homebodies. We would rather be at home than anywhere else. But we decided that we really needed to let our kids have experiences outside of our home, lol, so our antidote for the 'homebodies' is Family Date Night. Once a month, we pick something fun to do and then we get out of our house and we GO! Family Dates have included going to the library, going to Wal-Mart (fun, I know), visiting a train museum, going bowling, going to different parks around the valley, going to grandma & grandpa's houses, going to cousins' houses, going to our favorite family restaurants (Wendy's or Red Robin), or just going on a walk (in warmer weather of course!) Last month, we went downtown to see the lights at Temple Square. But not only that, we rode on a train! If you know anything about our Little Man, you know that he is in LOVE with anything that has to do with trains. So we drove down to the free ride zone, waited in freezing weather for the Trax train, boarded, and rode 3 blocks to Temple Square. LM was in heaven. He especially got a kick out of it when the train turned the corner and he could see the "engine" (front of the train) out the window. He's a good kid and keeps us laughing. The lights were great as always, and it was a great Family Date.
We've been trying to plan out our family dates for the coming year. Do any of you have any suggestions for fun things to do outside of the house?

3 comments:

Brittany Marie said...

Sadly, I have no suggestions. (We're homebodies too, but we've had that conversation.) :p

However I am very jealous that you actually got to see the lights. Que and I drove downtown but couldn't find a spot to park. So we drove around Temple Square. LOL

The only thing we really saw was a carriage horse licking road salt off of our back window (we were at a stop light.)

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

I know during winter it is hard to do things outside, so her are some things we do during the colder times: Museum of Natural History (free 1st Mon of every month), Nicklecade, dollar movies ( 50 cent Mon in the summer), Taffy Town (I want to go for pre-school). I have more. You could build a snowman, or go tubing! We went to the Discovery Gateway, that was really fun, but pricey!

For warm weather we love Wheeler Farm! You could go to the petting zoo at Thanksgiving Point too. You could got to the church ball park and play ball, freeze tag, stuff like that. I'll have to think some more! Good luck! It sure sounds fun!

Jen said...

We're like you and are real homebodies, too. But we try to have date night weekly and it always involves the kids. We've gone to pet stores to see the animals, gone walking through the Thanksgiving Point Gardens, and walked to the nearest Maverik for dinner that we ate at the park. We're all about free "family date nights". :)