Since I've been spending so much time awake lately, I've had a chance to do some thinking ("a dangerous pastime"--"I know"). Most of these thought stem from talks or books I've heard or read in the past little while. Here they are:
1. Any time we make a positive change in our lives, we are actually repenting. Even self improvement is repentance. Forgiving is repentance. These events may not seem like what we traditionally view as repentance, but in essence are the same. We are changing behavior and moving closer to our Heavenly Father when we improve ourselves--it's the sin of omission thing.
2. Did you know that toilet paper rolls are getting shorter? It's true. Our house came with nifty toilet paper holders that don't have a bar through the middle, but instead have prongs on the end. For a year and a half I really enjoyed these toilet paper holders because it made changing the roll so much easier. Then suddenly the toilet paper rolls shrank, and they no longer fit between the prongs (so annoying!). They have the same amount of sheets, but they are definitely shorter. We've tried three different brands and have found this to be the case with each brand. I just thought you all would like to be aware of the conspiracy that is going on in the toilet paper industry.
3. I am reading Preach My Gospel and was really inspired by the section on goal making and planning. One part suggests to the missionaries that when they plan their week, they should have a meaningful activity planned for every hour of the day. It made me wonder: How much could I get done if I had a meaningful activity planned for every single hour of the day. (Sleep counts! Believe me--it is way meaningful!!) I have to admit that there are whole days that go by that I haven't had a meaningful activity planned. I decided to give this a try, and I feel so empowered! I am getting so much done! I thought it might wear me out, but it has actually made me feel more energetic even with the small amount of sleep I've gotten the past couple days. I have been reminded more than once though that kids just don't understand about getting things done--so I've been really easy on myself. My meaningful activities range anywhere from getting myself dressed, to pulling weeds in the flower bed, or feeding my children lunch. Who couldn't accomplish one of those things in an hour? Even though I've kept it simple I still feel like I'm accomplishing a lot more. I think it is because my mind is more organized, so instead of spending 15 minutes trying to decide what I need to do and where I should start on the list, I can just say, "I'm doing this this hour. Ready, set, GO!"
4. This one goes along with #3. A week or so ago we went to a sales presentation, and believe it or not, I learned something that motivated me. The presenter said that there are two types of people in the world--the talkers and the doers. I was thinking about that later that night while reading my scriptures, and I read the account of Nephi and his brothers going to get the brass plates. I realized that Laman was a talker and that Nephi was a doer. Then I thought about Ammon and his missionary efforts--he was a doer. I felt motivated to be a doer--to get things done. To stop talking about goals and ideas, and get out there and start accomplishing them. It's time to stop talking about doing my visiting teaching, and just start doing it. It's time to stop talking about starting my own business and just start doing it. It's time to DO. Anyone want to join me?
5. This is the last one, I promise. I've been really unhappy with my house lately. I thought it was that I wasn't satisfied with the decorating or furniture arrangements, etc. etc. I then realized that it wasn't the house so much, but some of the recent changes we've made. That's when it hit me that this house no longer belongs to me. This house belongs to two small children--especially the one that's crawling all over the place and gets into anything and everything. Even the room that was 'my room' that I decorated with all my travel souvenirs and that the kids weren't going to be allowed to go in has been invaded by a 3 year old looking for sanctuary for himself and his toys from the interference of his little sister. Sigh. I knew it would happen someday. It just snuck up on me when I wasn't paying attention. Yes, I know. Enjoy it while I can because they grown up so fast. I just can't help feeling that my house is a reflection of me. But I'm trying. That's why my house looks the way it does. So if you come and visit, please be kind. Avert your eyes from the piles of toys, clothes, dishes, etc. etc. Ignore the gates that appear every time you turn around (3 to be exact--we have way too many stairs in this house), and please don't say anything about the awkward furniture arrangement in the family room. Just promise to come back and visit in 20 years or so. That's all I ask.
(p.s. I can't get blogger to let me add any pictures to this post. Is that a hint that it is already too long? I will see if I can change it's mind some time later. I have pictures of some of the above items. I know you all want to see proof of the toilet paper industry conspiracy.)
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a fun post Jill. I'm going to join you and become a doer. This has been on my mind lately too. I agree that making a goal for the day makes me feel better, but I've never thought about on the hour. I'm willing to try it. I might go inti overload!
#5 is a hard one. I've been there done that, wait, I'm still there doing that! I found this poem and it hels me, maybe it will help you. If not, then ignore it.
Some houses try to hide the fact that children live there.
Ours boasts it quite openly, the signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows, little smudges on the door.
I should apologize, I guess, for the toys all over the floor.
But I sat down with the children, we played and laughed and read.
And if the door bell doesn't shine, their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose, the one job or the other,
I want to be a HOUSEWIFE,
but first I'll be a mother.
Anyway, this just helped me to not over do myself. It is printed and framed in my kitchen where I'm sure to see it. It sounds like you already know. I know it is frustrating though.
Thanks for your thoughts. I've always thought you were amazing. You still are :)
I LOVE the goals stuff, and the doing vs talking bit. I'm curious about your near-future business, and slightly disturbed about the toilet paper news.
Post a Comment