


That was at approximately 7:30am. We were sent to a waiting room to wait for the 20 minute test to be completed. Around 8:00 I walked back to the recovery room to see if he was done yet. They were just laying him on the bed and hooking him up to the monitors. They said that he had woken up a little and had started coughing, so they had had to give him more medicine to sedate him again, and they suctioned his nose once more. Only one adult was permitted in the recovery room for each child, so DH and I traded off every 30 minutes until 9:30 when they told us to wake him up. I know you'll think I'm mean, but I couldn't help laughing at LM during the 15 minutes between waking time and leaving time. Although he was awake and talking to me, his speech was slurred and he had almost no control of his body. He kept trying to grab the crackers I was feeding him, and would miss by a mile. He kept saying something about "take it off". I thought he was talking about the corded things (blood pressure gage, oxygen count) and he got irritated with me when I didn't understand. In an attempt to point, he threw his right arm completely across his body (reminiscent of Princess Bride) toward his pic line for the IV and stated loudly (very loudly) and clearly, "Take THIS off!" I just laughed. When I carried him out to the Waiting Room to get DH, he wanted to play with some of the toys there and kept trying to slide out of my arms. I set him on his feet and held him up as he drunkenly made his way to the toys. The exaggerated movements and bad coordination made both DH and I laugh. (I know, I know! Horrible parents! At least we aren't taking things too seriously!)
It is now almost 6:00 pm, and LM has been sleeping most of the day. When he hasn't been asleep, he has been throwing up. He threw up in the van (not ours--the one the dealer gave us while they fixed ours--Oops), he threw up all over the front door step and flower bed, he threw up all over DH and the couch, and the latest, he left a trail of throw up between the table where I was holding him and the kitchen sink. I stepped in that one. Gross. We called Primaries to ask if we should be concerned that after almost 11 hours he still can't keep anything down, but they said that it wasn't uncommon, especially with the double dose that he received. Their advice--even though he is begging for food and drink, we aren't supposed to give him anything for at least another hour. He needs to sleep the medication off and get it out of his system. I'm not sure if his weakness now can totally be attributed to the medicine or if being hungry and throwing up aren't adding to it. LM has regained more muscle control, but his balance and coordination are still bad. When we first got home, he wanted to lay on the floor by his toys. The next thing we knew, he was trying to get into the play room. He didn't have enough power to stand or even crawl. Instead he had his face to the floor, arms dragging, while he pushed forward with his knees. Yep. We laughed at that one, too.
3 comments:
Wow.
You guys are amazing. I remember when Brianna had RSV and we had to take her to the hospital 2 times a day to be suctioned like you explained. It was horrible. But somehow we manage to get through those trials. Thank goodness for the gospel and the strength that it gives us to press forward. We are praying for you.
I'm glad you guys survived the MRI! We are praying for you guys. And you are NOT horrible parents for laughing at his funny behavior. That just means you are finding ways to laugh at a stressful situation! Hope things are going well!
Post a Comment