
First of all, I have to say that I was only brave enough to try this because, well #1: I purchased the white lamp shade from the DI for $1 and #2: As soon as I find a suitable fabric for the job, I'm planning on covering it to match the rest of the decor in the room anyway. So why not experiment? I've seen a couple of different examples of people using ribbon to dress up a lamp shade and since I had some leftover red Christmas ribbon from my tree, I started with that. I hot glued the strips of ribbon around the lampshade vertically. Hot glue is supposedly easy to remove from projects like this, or so I've heard. Hopefully it will be true when I try to take this all apart :) I actually really liked the results. For about 3 hours...
Then it just seemed too bright and 'candy cane-ish' to match the rest of the decor on the piano. So I decided that I needed something to tone it down. Some nice sparkly swirly transparent ribbon seemed to be the perfect solution. With this ribbon, I just wrapped it around and around the lamp shade. It had already become a bigger project than I had time for and I was too lazy to cut and glue every strip.
It probably would have looked better if the ribbon were laying flat against the lamp shade, but over all, I'm pleased with the results. I especially like how it looks at night with only the Christmas tree lights shining on it (no picture of that. Sorry.) And there it is: An easy way to transform a boring lamp shade to fit with holiday decor.

1 comment:
Holy smokes, Jill! You've been busy. Looks like so much fun. I'm a crafter wanna-be, too, but don't actually do anything about it. Maybe someday when I have my own house then we can craft together!
Post a Comment