So I think Trick-or-Treating has gotten a little out of hand in some cases. I'm not talking about everyone as a whole, but just certain kids. You know the ones I'm talking about---the ones that ruin everything for everyone else.
Case #1: We're in the church parking lot for our ward's annual Trunk-or-Treat. Cars are pulling into the parking lot and dropping off loads of kids. I don't recognize any of these people. Do people just drive around looking for Trunk-or-Treats? Not a huge problem, except we end up handing out more candy than we would if we had stayed home. (This is why I don't think our ward should do the Trunk or Treat on Halloween.)
Then here comes Annoying Kid #1:
Him: "Trick or Treat"
Me: Try to put piece of candy in his bucket--feeling cheap because we are only giving out one piece per kid to make it last longer
Him: Holds out his hand
Me: Avoid his hand and try to put the candy in his bucket
Him: Pulls his bucket away and says, "What is it?"
Me: Huh? It's CANDY, duh. And try to put in his bucket again.
Him: Tries to take candy from my hand.
Me: Pull candy away from his hand and try one last time to put it in the bucket. (I admit, I'm a little slow)
Him: Sees it and says, "Oh, it's a caramel. I don't want that." Walks away.
Me: "Oh, excuse me. Don't appreciate the FREE candy that I went to all the trouble to BUY and am trying to give to you." Jerk.
Trick-or-Treat Etiquette Lesson #1: You get what you get and don't throw a fit--sorting through the candy should happen in the privacy of your own home. Oh yeah, and candy goes in your bag/basket not your hand.
Case #2: We are pulling into the garage after the Trunk or Treat just as kids are walking up to our door. They see us, we see them. We hurry to empty everyone out of the van, and walk into the house just as they ring the bell. We don't have any candy left but decide to be nice and give them some of LM's trick or treating stash (I know--stealing candy from a baby). I'm sorting through the stash trying to find the stuff he can't eat anyway when they ring the bell again...and again...and again. Ring..... ring...ring..ring..RING,RING,RING,RING,RING. At that point I throw the candy back in the purple pumpkin and say, "They aren't getting any candy from us!" and DH turns off the porch light.
Trick or Treat Etiquette Lesson #2: Ring the door bell once--maybe twice. If no one comes to the door, turn around and walk away. Angry people do not give you 'treats'.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hahaha, you make me laugh. But, I totally agree with you. Though I did not have a trunk or treat, or give candy to trick-or-treaters, I can totally understand what you mean. I think kids these days seem to be very needy and greedy. In other words, I think a lot of them are little brats thinking they can have and do whatever they want. I enjoyed reading this post, thank you. :)
Oh, and I still need your gmail e-mail! Love you.
I'm so with you on our wards trunk or treat. I complain about it every year and I really wish they would do it on a different night. I love your etiquette lessons :)!!!
Nice etiquette lessons Jill! Love em! We actually had 2 little kids come to our door with their parents out by the sidewalk at 10:00 at night!!! Uh..I wonder if they had a watch with them!
Hahaha! I don't know why we do trunk-or-treat either. I don't think we've ever gone to one. I am pretty sure that the kids go to the trunk-or-treat and then hit the neighborhood too.
My mom's neighborhood doesn't do trunk-or-treat, but they do get "imports" (vans full of kids from who knows where). It annoys her.
I think they should do the trunk or treat on a different night as well. Although because they did it earlier, we didn't have as many strangers as last year. Last year was ridiculous. Fun post. I hope that wasn't my boy who wouldn't accept the caramel (I love caramels). If it was, I apologize.
OH, I'm so glad we don't get trick-or-treaters where we live! And our Trunk-or-Treat is on a different night. Sorry you had to deal with that! But I bet your kids had fun :)
Post a Comment